- BELAIR site
- BELAIR campaigns
- BELAIR MSc/PhD
- BELAIR Workshops and Meetings
BELAIR Workshop 2016
BELSPO and VITO Remote Sensing thank you for your participation in the BELAIR Workshop 2016, organised in the Huis der Notarissen – Bruges on November 8, 2016.
During the morning session, BELAIR participants presented their results and international keynotes gave a presentation on organisation of cal/val and joint research sites abroad.
After lunch, there was a discussion with international experts on the continuation of the BELAIR programme and a part of the group went on a field visit to the BELAIR LITORA site of ‘t Zwin kindly guided by INBO.
Presentations can be downloaded here.
The international experts agreed that
- the amount of data collected during BELAIR 2015 is impressive, especially the amount of temporal UAV data which is rather unique in Europe,
- for each BELAIR subsite, a choice between cal/val (for operational purposes) or thematic research (for understanding processes) needs to be made and both purposes have equal value,
- for cal/cal purposes permanent monitoring is required instead of one data campaign. It was recommended by the experts to investigate whether continuous measurements of aerosol optical thickness and surface reflectance could be carried out as the main uncertainty in satellite products is due to the atmospheric correction,
- more attention to the upscaling is needed as well as more attention to the uncertainty in in-situ data,
- impact could be increased by strengthen the links with Sentinel, EnMAP and FLEX missions.
We look forward to seeing you at one of our upcoming events.
On behalf of the organising committee,
Joost Vandenabeele and Jean-Christophe Schyns – BELSPO
Ils Reusen – VITO Remote Sensing